Thursday 1 February 2007

Making a mess

There is something very liberating about making a mess when creating artwork. Anyone who has seen the inside of my studio knows that I am unable to be careful when I am painting, and my paint splattered carpet is testimony to that!
I was up to my arms in mod roc today, and ended up getting my trousers caked in dried plaser of paris, but this to me is part of the process. Whats the point in being precious about what you are wearing or the way you look while you are painting or creating? Thats not to say that all my clothes are covered in paint and materials, but its good to have a certain few clothes set aside purely for getting messy in. I LOVE walking aroung covered in paint. It singles me out as an artist, which in turn gives me a great sense of identiy. I know i am getting off topic a bit here, but i strugled with my identity as an artist for a long time. It felt fraudulent to call myself an artist when i never really felt like one. Now i have come to see tht it is one of the biggest things that defines me and what i want from my life........ its not necessarily claiming i am talented or any good (i think i will always struggle with that!) but its about recognising its importance in giving me me sense of self.
Anyway..... Im in danger of this turning into a pretentious ramble, so back on topic. I highly recommend getting messy! Create! Throw paint around! Set aside some comfy clothes that you don't mind trashing........ and then trash them! Trust me...... it feels good......

No comments: