Sunday 11 January 2009

On oil paint and facing my fears....


For a long time now, I have wanted to make the leap into using oil paints, but I have always found a reason not too, or have avoided the issue. I mainly work in acrylic, but I am not a 'techniquey' kind of girl. I am not a fine artist, I was never trained, so usually my way of working with a medium involves experimenting with it, rather than reading up on how to achieve effects. I also love experiementing with different ways of combining materials, such as painting acrylic over wet gloss paint of emulsion, combining the paint with textural elements such as material, wire, liquid latex..... hell, I have even been known to use washing up and bleach in a painting once, but I had had rather a lot of red wine at the time and was feeling more experiemental than normal! If truth be known, I know where I am with acrylic..... its safe, predictable and dependable. But sometimes, safe and predictable = boring.....

In all honesty, I find the thought of oils scary. Long drying times, having to use different thinning materials, not being able to mix them with water..... it feels very daunting. But whenever I see a painting in oil thatI like, I feel a real sense that I am missing out. The amazing textures that can be achieved and the vibrancy of the colours makes me feel so inspired. So I need to move out of my comfort zone. I need to start doing it. OK, so I will probably have to do something I hate and read up about some basic tips and techniques, but once I have a rough idea, my plan is to just go for it, and experiement in the way I normally do with paint. I'm scared, but I really need a change of direction!

My plan is for this all to begin in February. I'm leaving my volunteer artist role at Studio Upstairs at the end of the month, and don't feel I can focus on it until then. It will be a big wrench not being at the studio anymore as it has been a massive part of my life for over three years now, but the time has come to move on..... and the end of this period will hopefully mark the beginning of a new period of creativity. It's going to be hard, and my transition may be a painful one, but I am kind of excited too.

Bring on the turps and linseed oil!!

No comments: