Sunday 18 January 2009

End of an era



My thoughts at the moment are mainly focused on my last few weeks at Studio Upstairs, an artists community for people with mental health difficulties. I have been a volunteer artist at the studio now since October 2005, but my time there is coming to an end. I decided a while back that it was time to move on from the studio in order to devote more time and attention to my own studio at The Quarry. When people leave, they often have a review of their work up in order to see the development and focus on how the art has moved and changed during their time at the studio. So that it what I am preparing for, as my review is this Thursday! I am amazed at the sheer volume of work I have amassed, and my biggest headache is going to be how to condense it to give a good representation of my work. The space I have to hang in is pretty big, but then, so is a lot of my work! Its been interesting and surprisingly emotional getting out all of my old stuff.... there was so much I had forgotten about. I am feeling daunted, nervous, but also incredibly excited. I am planning on taking lots of photos of the review, so they will of course be up here soon!

I feel sad, as the studio has been a massive part of my life for so long and it will be a wrench to leave. I have met so many amazing, funny, interesting, courageous and inspiring people. My stereotypes of mental health have been challenged and broken down, and I am leaving behind lots of friends..... but I feel privileged to have been part of it, and its time for the future, and to focus on all the changes ahead in my year. Exciting times!!

1 comment:

Camilla said...

Good luck with your 'retrospective'! Studio Upstairs is an inspiring place, i've come across it a few times in my past life and know a few people who have used it. I think it's great that you are leaving to concentrate on working in the Quarry- I keep meaning to ask you more about the studio space there, do spaces ever become available?