Thursday 8 November 2007

Validation

Had the best kind of validation of my artwork today.....

Michelle spoke to me about the effect seeing my exhibition has had on members of the groups she runs. The first one came with one woman who told her she was inspired to create something similar to "white noise" as she had been so interested in it. The second was a woman who apparently was really struck by the 2 paintings entitled "Dissociative Episode", both the paintings themselves and the titles.























It particular woman has had a label put on her of having a dissociative disorder, to it is easy to see why my work resonated with her! Apparently, the woman was never terribly expressive in her art therapy sessions, doing lots of glass painting and making cards. Her art therapist told Michelle of the change in her since she saw my work. She spoke about the two paintings at length, and then went on to create lots of free and expressive paintings that explored her personal stuff.

WHAT AN AMAZING FEELING!! There has been loads of artists work in the past that have inspired me or made me admire them, but to think that I have done the same thing for other people? To be on the other side of this? They are not feelings that can easily be put into words, but is an incredible validation. All I ever wanted was to move someone with my work, to provoke strong emotions, rather than just have them think my work "pretty". And I have done it.

I HAVE DONE IT! The painting bug is now well and truely alive! And its all down to what happened at the beginning of the year. I had to really look hard at myself and work to create a life I wanted.

Its happening......

No comments: