Thursday 27 August 2009

Weston-super-Mare Arts Festival

I am very excited about this years Arts Festival. Firstly, there is a big festival taking place in the Old Town Quarry where I have my studio, with lots of things going on including live painting, open studios and a sculpture exhibition. I am planning on spending as much of the day there as I can, whilst hoping that people don't assume that me breastfeeding Ruby is public is some sort of strange performance art as they wander round the open studios!!

Also, Camilla whose blog I follow is organising three different events throughout the town which I am going to try and get to. There is the other Art in the Quarry event which I hope to get to, where local artists and performers have been asked to create site specific work, an exhibition at Frou Frou of contemporary embroidery and plasterwork, and The Mythical Beast Sweet shoppe, which is open on weekends during the Arts Festival, and is only round the corner from where I live!

I am hoping for good weather so I can get out and about to as many events as possible, and induldge Ruby and (more importantly) myself in some interesting art from local talent. I am particularly looking forward to seeing the embroidery work, I've been looking at some of the exhibits as shown on Camilla's blog. Some of the work is edgy, humorous and RIGHT up my alley, particularly work by this lady I am DEFINATELY a fan!

I am hoping for lots of inspiration. I love to work in mixed media when I paint, and am thinking about how to use textiles, embroidery and texture more in my work, but I am scared at starting as I am lacking in technical skill. hopefully i will be inspired to just start anyway!

1 comment:

Camilla said...

Aw thanks for the write up! It's a shame i'm going to be in three places at once on the 12th because I would've loved to make it up to see you in your studio, but I think the 'other' quarry will keep it's hold on me all day. I just created a new blog for the Frou Frou exhibition- I think Lou might be uploading more work to it: http://froufrouexhibition.blogspot.com

Let me know when you are likely to call in at the Sweet Shoppe- i'd love to meet you and Ruby.