Friday 14 August 2009

6 weeks and reality is returning



So, Ruby is 6 weeks old as of Wednesday this week. Its been a whirlwind of wonderfulness, chaos, adjustment, joy, deliciousness, tears, terror and laughter!

I feel like I am beginning to raise myself back up into the world, blinking in the sunlight, and still feeling a bit dazed and confused. Nothing could have prepared me for this whole experience. Its been crazy-fantastic, full of hard work, worry and unsolicited advice!

I feel like I am in quite a creative mood at the moment, although obviously my time for this is severely limited. I have managed to make it up to my studio to paint 3 times so far, which doesn't sound much, but is a triumph as far as I am concerned! Its interesting to see what having a baby with me has done to my creative practice. An interesting development has come out of having to put Ruby first.... usually I find it hard to stop when I am painting, and I might ruin a canvas by not stopping at the point where the painting was interesting. Now, Ruby forces me to stop at random moments when I have to turn away from the work and turn my attention to feeding her or walking with her to soothe her. And the other day, I was sat down feeding her after stopping mid flow, and I had 20 minutes to just stop and look at my work. I had no choice. And it was GOOD, as I actually put away a painting that I may have ruined by over working.

I have a definate sense of not taking anything for granted anymore, be that my time at the studio, my relationship my husband and my relationships with friends. Things seem much more valuable and feel much more special.

It is a rich and creative period, if very tiring. I have a real sense in my studio of needing to clear out the old and make way for the new.

Its a new beginning in so many senses of the word.

1 comment:

Camilla said...

I was wondering how things were going for you and your new family member- nice to see you are able to get up to the studio and paint- that's more than I seem to be able to manage, even without a baby!