Monday 29 December 2008

Word for the year 2009

I have been really struggling with choosing my word for 2009. I knew exactly what I wanted my word to represent, but was struggling to find a word that encompassed it all. I wanted a word that would encourage me to focus more on myself and what I want, and that would help me to rengage with my art and get me painting and creating again. I also want to focus on generally feeling healthy and promoting my wellbeing, both physically and emotionally. Its a lot to cover with one word!

Since I discovered I was pregnant, my world has shrunk a little. I have been feeling so sick that my days have been taken up with battling this and eating in order to stave off the nausea. I have also been quite involved in coming to terms with the changes that go along with imminent parenthood (GULP!) So there has been very little time to focus on me. I have also become aware of my desire to not completely lose my identity in becoming a mum. I don't want that to be the only thing that defines me, it is still important for me to be defined as an artist too, and to still fundamentally be ME, even though my priorities will clearly change.

Like I said, a lot to cover with one word!!

But the other night, a flash of inspiration came, and I thank Laura for it. I was telling her my problems with choosing the word and what I was thinking, and she said -

"Why don't you have 'Karen' as your word of the year?"

PERFECT!!! It covers everything! It basically reminds myself to spend lots of time focusing on, pampering, treating, nurturing, and generally looking after myself.

It may seem a bit comedic, perhaps a bit narcissistic, but it does fit, and is serious. And also is not just about me. There is no doubt my thoughts will often be focused on the new little person in my world, but if I remember my word, I am immediately reminded to focus on myself too. After all, how can I look after a new life if I have not properly looked after myself?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hurrah for Karen! :)
Glad I could help!
xx