Sunday 19 October 2008

Observing the observation















One of the most difficult things about hanging my work on the wall is being around people when they are looking it and commenting on what they see. Often I think that I will try and linger near people who are looking at the work so that I can eavesdrop on what they are saying in response to the piece of artwork, but I am never usually brave enough. Its great to hear positive comments, but the negatives can be really difficult to hear. OK, the more hangings and exhibitions I do the better I get at not taking negative criticism to heart, but sometimes i still am amazed at how cutting people can be. The work is public property as soon as it gets on a wall, and some people feel absolutely no need to censor their opinions!! This year with "99,000" I felt much braver at hearing peoples responses to it. The piece itself was quite playful and not at all personal unlike much of my work, so I was much less likely to be affected negatively. Some people did not get it and were looking for the deeper meaning, some people commented on the drawing itself and lots of people saw the humour in it, which was exactly the response I wanted.

But it is always interesting to see how people respond. Some people walked straight past it, others lingered infront of it for ages (perhaps looking for the hidden meaning whaich was not there!) others engaged in conversations with their companions about the work. Part of me would love to know what they were saying, the other half is not brave enough. Perhaps I will get more brave the more exhibitions I do. Perhaps not! But I KNOW I will always find it interesting to observe other people as they observe a little part of me I have placed on the wall.....

No comments: