Wednesday 28 May 2008

RIP Beryl....


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7424091.stm
















"I feel much better when I'm painting. It isn't why I paint. I paint because I like doing it, but at the same time I wouldn't be worrying about anything else - only my painting." Beryl Cook

Beryl's fans have started to fight back against the art snobs who have given her work the cold shoulder.

In 2007 they launched a campaign against the Tate Modern in London for spending thousands of pounds on a can of conceptual human excrement, and not buying a single painting by Beryl Cook.

The artist reamined unconcerned, however: "I don't see the point actually," she said. "What would they do with one of mine I ask you. And anyway, how can I compete with tins of you know what! Unless I paint them!"

For Beryl, it was not the idea of seeing her paintings hanging at the major galleries which thrilled her - it was the enjoyment they bring to people.

"They actually do still cheer people up and I'm awfully pleased about that."
(taken from the BBC Culture Show interview)



















I found out today that Beryl Cook died..... so its not fashionable to like her, but I always have. She reminds me not to get pompous about painting and why I do it, despite us having wildly different styles.

I felt quite sad when I heard....

No comments: