Wednesday 11 April 2007

The universe knows better than you do......

Reading this post from Keri's blog made me think of all those times the world feels connected in funny ways and you realise things were meant to be. Life goes in funny twists and turns and sometimes it feels like a bad decision has been made, but i am a FIRM believer in things happening for a reason, and that (as Keri says) "the universe sometimes (always) knows better than you do" Maybe its just a way of putting a positive spin on things that were at first negative, but then I guess that makes me a positive person then, doesn't it?!

Some examples of things that happened in my life for a reason.........

  • If I hadn't had such horrible flatmates in Cardiff, then maybe I would have ended up a journalist. And then I never would have found the studio, become a painter, learnt as much as I have about counselling and led the more free and easy life I have, developing the realisation that work is NOT the be all and end all, and that it is much better to be happy in your life and work than it is to be miserable or unfulfilled but earning £££!
  • If my Dad hadn't died when I was young, maybe I would still be trying to sort out his life and fight his battles, rather than concentrating on enriching my own life. I miss him greatly, but his death freed me in lots of ways.
  • If I hadn't ended up nearly having a mini-breakdown after taking on the psychiatric job, then maybe I never would have found the fab speech therapy job which might take me in a whole new direction i never considered. Also, this period in my life gave me greater empathy with the members in the studio, and made my determination to not take on things that don't feel right even more concrete!

The other side of this is that you could drive yourself mad thinking about all those "what if's?" that may have taken life in another direction. However, i have learnt not to give much time to these thoughts. I believe its best to regret nothing, as it has all shaped me into the person I am. and Despite having hang-ups and issues, and recognising I have made mistakes in my life, I have come to really like the person I am, and that is the least I have come to hope for, whereas I know lots of people who strive for this as the most they could hope for. Maybe if I had followed different roads then I would not feel like this, and liking myself is fundamental to my happiness.

No comments: