Monday 12 April 2010

My red room

We are soon going to be selling up our flat. (Hopefully) I feel very ambivilent about selling, as I LOVE my flat, but without any kind of outdoors space, it doesn't work with The Rubester.

A few years ago, the original plan was to sell up, move to New Zealand for a few years, maybe permenantly. The inlaws got involved with the DIY. Its a long story, involving a crash in the housing market hence us not selling, but put it this way, there was a lot of heartache, a couple of arguments, and I learnt a lot about why it is NOT A GOOD IDEA to mix DIY with inlaws. The process of doing it up forced me to fall a little bit out of love with the place, but I am still very attached. However, with putting it up to sell again, I must begin the process of letting go, and this post is part of that process for me. So. Here is the story of why I fell in love with the place. Its the story of my red room....

I remember viewing the flat. We swore we would never live in a flat again after spending an unhappy month in the company of the abusive, slightly violent neighbour from hell in our old flat. Then the details of this flat came through. What the hell! I thought, I'm NEVER going to buy it, but it looks pretty, so lets be nosy! We were being shown around, and I liked it, then we were taken into the bedroom. And I fell head over heals in love with the deep red bedroom. I had always wanted a bedroom the EXACT shade this one was painted, but in the wrong room the colour would be massivley oppresive. I fell in love instantly. I never knew this was possible with just a flat! I knew we had to live there..... and the rest is history.




I remember when I lost my battle to keep the room red (Magnolia FUCKING SELLS FLATS apparently, despite my argument that it would make the room more than a little souless), I painted this image at Studio Upstairs one day in response. I Still love it, and may well frame it in the next place I live to remind me of this flat that I loved.


But it it time to move on....

No comments: